Wonders Multi-Sensory Room
In 2014, SEASPAR built Wonders, the first multi-sensory room within a municipal building in the country.
Wonders is located at the Lisle Recreation Center – Door 8, at 1925 Ohio Street in Lisle.
Wonders features interactive equipment that pleases the senses in a variety of unique and soothing ways.
It primarily benefits individuals of any age with:
- Autism/autism spectrum disorders.
- Sensory processing disorders.
Benefits of visiting Wonders include:
- Improved mood.
- Fewer disruptive behaviors.
- Decreased anxiety.
- Decreased fear.
- Improved communication.
- Enhanced interpersonal interactions.
Wonders’ specially-designed equipment appeals to the auditory, tactile, olfactory, and visual senses:
- The Gesturetek Cube creates an interactive projection on the floor with amazing special effects which are gesture-controlled.
- The Soundbeam 5 converts movements into sound and music. Individuals are enabled to express themselves through this contact-free musical instrument.
- Bubble tubes provide multi-sensory feedback and stimulate the visual system. Individuals can control color changes and color change speed with the push of a button.
- The Vibroacoustic Learning Chair offers beanbag styling with mold-to-the-body comfort. Music is played through the chair so that the individual is surrounded by the music and can also feel its gentle vibrations.
- Essential aromatherapy oils can be diffused into the room, dispersing a calming and pleasant scent.
Several items are also available for individuals to move around the room as they please. Examples include the Jumbo Love Bug, aromatic stuffed animals, weighted blankets, and more.
Visiting Wonders requires registration through SEASPAR. Weekly programs, special events, and adapted programs are offered at the site. Download the current season’s brochure from our Program Schedules and Brochures page to learn about program offerings.
If you would like to schedule a visit for a field trip or other group, or to schedule a tour before registering for a program, please contact us at 630.960.7600.
A waiting room is adjacent to Wonders, with a one-way viewing window for parents if they choose to observe. Complimentary Wi-Fi and coffee are provided.
For more information about the Wonders Multi-Sensory Room, contact Rachel Pavesich at SEASPAR at 630.960.7600 or email@example.com.