Who We Are
SEASPAR is recognized as a special recreation association by the Illinois Association of Park Districts and is an extension of the services of its twelve member entities. It is governed by a Board of Directors which represents each of these members.
We are committed to our mission of providing dynamic recreation programs and quality services for our residents with disabilities. Our vision is to enable our participants to discover abilities, achieve potential, and realize dreams. We operate with the core values of fun, excellence, service, respect, and accountability.
Special Recreation Association
SEASPAR is a very unique type of agency, a special recreation association (SRA). Illinois is the only state which has legislation that:
- enables two or more park districts or municipalities to join together to “establish, maintain, and manage recreation programs” for people with disabilities; and
- grants the park districts and municipalities in such a joint agreement the ability to levy a special tax in order to fund such programs.
An organization is recognized as a special recreation association if:
- it consists of two or more park districts which have entered into a joint agreement with one another, and/or recreation boards and the corporate authorities of cities, villages, and incorporated towns;
- it has a written agreement among the cooperating agencies;
- residents of member agencies are equally eligible to participate; and
- it has a board of directors made up of representatives of the member entities to govern the association.
Each special recreation association is unique in that it is responsible to meet the needs of its residents and works under the direction of its own Board of Directors. As a result, the programs offered by each SRA may be very different than those offered by SRAs serving another area with its own unique needs and expectations.
SEASPAR staff members are dedicated to providing excellent programs and services. Our front office staff have many years of experience in the unique field of serving people with disabilities and their caregivers. Our professional staff are Certified Park and Recreation Professionals and/or Certified Therapeutic Recreation Professionals. Our part-time staff and volunteers receive ongoing training to maintain our high standard of program delivery.
What We Do
Programs and Services
SEASPAR offers a wide variety of therapeutic recreation programs and services for all ages and all disabilities. These include weekly programs, special events, day camps, Special Olympics training, adapted sports, the Wonders Multi-Sensory Room, cooperative programs, inclusion services, and much more. Visit the Program Information page for details.
Watch the video below to see our participants in action!
Benefits of Special Recreation
Participation in SEASPAR’s programs and services has countless benefits, including but not limited to:
- Improved physical and emotional health
- Increased self-esteem and opportunities for self-expression
- Enhanced independence
- Social skill and relationship development
- Cognitive and fine/gross motor skill development
- Integration into the community
SEASPAR is proud to have received the following recognition:
- National Gold Medal for Programming Excellence for Special Populations
- Outstanding Program Awards from the Illinois Park and Recreation Association (IPRA)
- Outstanding Special Event Award from the Therapeutic Recreation Section of IPRA
- Agency Excellence Award from the Therapeutic Recreation Section of IPRA
- Chamber Choice Award from the Downers Grove Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Exceptional Workplace Award – Health and Wellness Committee of IPRA
- Agency Showcase Award, Social Media Campaign (First Place) from IPRA
SEASPAR is committed to the safety of our participants and staff, and maintains the highest rating of “accreditation” in parks and recreation risk management. This status is awarded by the Park District Risk Management Agency, which evaluates the risk management program of the agency on a regular basis.
Who We Serve
SEASPAR provides programs and services for individuals of all ages with disabilities that include:
- Attention Deficit Disorder/Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Autism/Autism Spectrum Disorder/Sensory Processing Disorder
- Behavior Disorder
- Cerebral Palsy
- Deaf/Hard of Hearing
- Developmental Delay
- Disabled Veterans
- Down Syndrome
- Intellectual Disability
- Learning Disability
- Mental Health Needs
- Pervasive Developmental Delay
- Physical Disability
- Visual Impairment
- Youth at Risk
- Other Disabilities
Our service area includes the park districts of Clarendon Hills, Darien, Downers Grove, La Grange, La Grange Park, Lemont, Lisle, Westmont, and Woodridge, and the villages of Brookfield, Indian Head Park, and Western Springs. Anyone residing in those incorporated entities may participate in our programs. Residents of unincorporated areas may also participate in our programs at a non-resident fee. Individuals served by the Western DuPage Special Recreation Association may also participate in SEASPAR programs. Visit the Resident/Non-Resident Policy page for more information.
Do you think SEASPAR might be a good fit for you or your loved one? Call us at 630.960.7600 or contact us online to set up a meeting with a staff member who is responsible for providing services to someone of your age or with your type of special recreation needs. The staff will be excited to meet you and learn about what you might like to do in your leisure time. They will also explain how we can enrich your life through the programs and services that SEASPAR offers for you!