We are very proud to report that SEASPAR’s 17 athletes who competed at the Special Olympics Illinois Summer Games earned a total of 33 medals, including 21 gold, at the competition held at Illinois State University June 7-9!
The Summer Games is the largest of the more than 175 Special Olympics competitions held throughout Illinois each year, and is the final state competition for Athletics (track and field), Bocce, Gymnastics, Powerlifting, Soccer, and Swimming. Approximately 4,000 athletes competed at the event at the Illinois State University campus. SEASPAR trained athletes in all six sports of the competition and was represented at Summer Games by athletes in five sports.
The three Artistic Gymnastics competitors trained by SEASPAR earned multiple medals:
- Anna Cavallo, Downers Grove: Gold in Balance Beam and Floor Routine. This was Anna’s fourth year competing in Level 2 Artistic Gymnastics at Summer Games!
- Kari Winter, Downers Grove: Gold in Floor Exercise, Bronze in Balance Beam. This was Kari’s fourth year competing in Level 2 Artistic Gymnastics at Summer Games!
SEASPAR was represented by three competitor in Athletics (track and field):
- Connor Brennan, Western Springs: 5th in 100M Run and Mini Javelin
- Michael Drabik, Woodridge: 5th in Pentathlon
- Samantha Wagner, Woodridge: Silver in 200M Run
In the sport of Bocce, SEASPAR athlete Ron Kamper of Indian Head Park earned a gold medal in the Traditional Singles event, beating his silver medal win last year!
SEASPAR’s two Powerlifting athletes both earned multiple medals:
- Emily Lundvall, Westmont: Gold in Bench Press, Deadlift, and Combination. This was Emily’s sixth year competing and earning gold in Powerlifting at Summer Games.
- Allen Rosete, Darien: Gold in Bench Press and Combination. Silver in Deadlift. This was Allen’s third year competing and earning gold in Powerlifting at Summer Games.
Twelve athletes represented SEASPAR in Swimming events:
- Steven Gonzalez, Lisle: Gold in 50M Backstroke. Gold in 4X25M Freestyle Relay. 5th in 50M Freestyle. Steven was SEASPAR’s youngest competitor at the Summer Games at just 13 years old!
- Ryan McGuire, La Grange: Gold in 25M Freestyle. Gold in 4X25M Freestyle Relay. Bronze in 25M Backstroke.
- Mark Ploskonka, Darien: Gold in 4X100M Freestyle Relay. Silver in 50M Backstroke. Bronze in 50M Freestyle.
- William Porch, Westmont: Gold in 4X100M Freestyle Relay. 5th in 50M Backstroke. 5th in 50M Freestyle.
- Adam Sikora, Lisle: Bronze in 25M Breaststroke. Fifth in 4X50M Freestyle Relay and 50M Freestyle.
- David Raineri, Downers Grove: Gold in 4X25M Freestyle Relay. 5th in 25M Backstroke. 8th in 25M Freestyle.
- Denise Sedlacek, Naperville: Gold in 4X25M Freestyle Relay. Silver in 25M Freestyle. Bronze in 25M Breaststroke.
- Sam Smetko, La Grange Park: Gold in 4X100M Freestyle Relay. Silver in 50M Backstroke. 5th in 100M Freestyle.
- Daniel Smrokowski, La Grange Park: Silver in 50M Backstroke. Bronze in 25M Breaststroke.
- Chris Tegeler, Darien: Gold in 4X100M Freestyle Relay. Bronze in 50M Backstroke.
Join us in congratulating these athletes on their hard work and well-deserved recognition! Learn more about SEASPAR’s Special Olympics programming.
Check out photos from the Summer Games in the gallery below, or view the photos on Flickr!